My 1st year as self-employed consultant at PHL ConsultOctober 20th, 2011
One year ago I started as self-employed consultant at my own company PHL Consult after having worked for IBM for 16 years - and what a great year! Starting on my own has proved to be one my of my best decisions ever.
It has been a year of classic Lotus Notes application development work, XPages development work, teaching courses and much more. I started with one customer and have since then been doing work for 10 other paying customers and been involved in proposals for a handful more. Furthermore, I reviewed David Leedys XPages cheat sheet, and reviewed the IBM course "Modernizing Lotus Domino 8.5.2 Applications".
The following are public sites that I have implemented for customers during my 1st year:
- startdithjerte.dk: a portal (in Danish) on heart failures and defibilator products with a related web shop where you can buy automated external defibrillators (AEDs) and accessories. I implemented the solution using XPages.
- mediaplus.dk: a company web site with a backend CMS. I implemented the web site using XPages and brought the proposed web design to life by extending the OneUI CSS.
Lessons learned (and assumptions confirmed):
- Networking is important: several of my customers have chosen me for their work because we were connected in some way.
- Advertising helps: I advertise my business services on the Google advertising network and know for a fact that some customers came to me via that channel.
- Being social: I am a strong believer in blogging and social networks and the impact that it can have on you and others.
I look forward to the next year and what it will bring me of interesting work and projects.
One final advice: pursue your dream!